SGMA Best Management Practice: Monitoring Networks and Identification of Data Gaps
California Department of Water Resources (DWR) | December 23rd, 2016
The objective of this Best Management Practice (BMP) is to assist in the development of Monitoring Networks and Identification of Data Gaps. The California Department of Water Resources (the Department or DWR) has developed this document as part of the obligation in the Technical Assistance chapter (Chapter 7) of the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) to support the long-term sustainability of California’s groundwater basins. Information provided in this BMP provides technical assistance to Groundwater Sustainability Agencies (GSAs) and other stakeholders to aid in the development of a monitoring network that is capable of providing sustainability indicator data of sufficient accuracy and quantity to demonstrate that the basin is being sustainably managed. In addition, this BMP is intended to provide information on how to identify and plan to resolve data gaps to reduce uncertainty that may be necessary to improve the ability of the GSP to achieve the sustainability goal for the basin.
This BMP includes the following sections:
1. Objective. A brief description of how and where monitoring networks are required under Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) and the overall objective of this BMP.
2. Use and Limitations. A brief description of the use and limitations of this BMP.
3. Monitoring Network Fundamentals. A description of the general approach and background of groundwater monitoring networks.
4. Relationship of Monitoring Network to other BMPs. A description of how this BMP is connected with other BMPs.
5. Technical Assistance. Technical content of BMP providing guidance for regulatory sections.
6. Key Definitions. Descriptions of those definitions identified in the GSP Regulations, SGMA, or Basin Boundary Regulations.
7. Related Materials. References and other materials that provide supporting information related to the development of Groundwater Monitoring Networks.
best management practices (BMPs), Groundwater Exchange, Groundwater Sustainability Plan (GSP), monitoring, Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)