Part 2 of the sixth County Drought Advisory Group (CDAG) meeting will take place on May 28, 2019 from 9 a.m. to noon. It will be online only via the GoToWebinar software. The purpose of part 2 of the sixth CDAG meeting is to:
- Present the final draft recommendations proposed by stakeholders during the CDAG process related to implementing and improving drought and water shortage contingency planning for small water systems and rural communities.
- Give an opportunity for Q&A on the recommendations
- Provide a status update on SB 971 introduced in 2020
To improve water conservation and water shortage planning, the California Legislature passed (Hertzberg) and (Friedman) which then-Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. signed into law in May of 2018. Changes to existing law related to small water suppliers and rural community drought planning resulting from this legislation are in Section 8, Chapter 10 (commencing with and added to Part 2.55 of Division 6 of the California Water Code).
These changes include directing DWR to:
- Identify small suppliers and rural communities at risk of drought and water shortage vulnerability
- Develop recommendations to the Governor and Legislature for improving drought contingency planning for those areas
On April 14, 2020, the California Department of Water Resources (DWR) has released the draft CDAG report with recommendations and guidance to help small water suppliers and rural communities plan for the next drought, wildfire, or other natural disasters that may cause water shortages.
This report, entitled Small Water Suppliers and Rural Communities At Risk of Drought and Water shortage Vulnerability and Recommendations and Guidance to Address the Planning Needs of these Communities, was required by law (California Water Code Section 10609.42).
More information and links to the Draft Report and the Online Risk Scoring Tool can be found on DWR website.
The CDAG meetings are open to CDAG members, other interested parties, and the public. For webinar related assistance, please contact James Campagna at James.Campagna@water.ca.gov.
Webinar Registration/Access Link:
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3052956069172033291 (Registration link)
Webinar ID: 848-277-091