The Surface Water Ambient Monitoring Program (SWAMP), the California Water Quality Monitoring Council, the California Water Boards Data Center, and the San Francisco Estuary Institute (SFEI) are hosting the Fifth Annual California Water Boards Water Data Science Symposium on June 29-30, 2020.
It is vitally important to the California Water Data Science Symposium Planning Committee to ensure the safety and health of our event, program participants, and guests. Due to evolving concerns around novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and following the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) updated policy on gatherings to protect public health and slow the spread of COVID-19, we are currently planning for this year’s Symposium to be a remote event.
Presentations and/or posters should inform water resource issues for the following subject areas:
- Accessibility: What can we do to improve access to and use of water data?
- Adaptation: What can we do to minimize and mitigate changes impacting water in California?
- Agency: How do we engage better with communities – who have everything at stake at water and data decision making – focusing on collection and use of meaningful water data and information?
- Change: How are water related resources and systems changing?
- Communication: How can we do better at communicating what we know (and don’t know!) to all audiences?
In addition to these broad themes, presentations and posters addressing the following specific topics will be prioritized for inclusion in the Symposium program:
- Data visualization and communication
- Innovative monitoring tools
- Open data
- Statewide monitoring programs
Visit the Symposium webpage for the agenda, abstracts, and speaker bios as they become available.
Who should attend?
- Managers faced with policy decisions
- Staff and volunteers at community science organizations
- Scientists and community members working on water related questions or issues
- Aspiring academics and budding subject matter experts
- Water nerds
For Water Board Staff: This is a Water Board sponsored event. Training Office approval is not required to attend sponsored events. Optional: submit a TRF to add the event to your training history. Please ensure you have supervisor approval to attend prior to registering.
This year’s Symposium will be a remote event. Please use the “Remote Attendee” ticket if you would like to attend on-line. Additional details on how to attend remotely will be sent out once we are closer to the Symposium date.
Bonus Event Details: California Water Quality Monitoring Council Meeting and Open House on July 1, 2020. All are welcome!
The California Water Quality Monitoring Council and its Workgroups co-sponsor the Annual California Water Boards Water Data Science Symposium and would like to invite attendees to attend a meeting of the Monitoring Council to engage with the Council Members, discuss their new strategic plan, and interact with the various theme-specific Workgroups.
For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org